[OpenIndiana-discuss] Static IP problem

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Tue Jul 8 16:24:57 UTC 2014

On 07/08/14 10:05, Jonathan Adams wrote:
> My experience:
>
> I had an Illumos box that after about 4 weeks just lost it's IP address
> when it was set to be dynamic, no matter what I did ... My colleagues used
> to just reboot it to fix the issue.

I've had that problem in the distant past when the DHCP server acts up.
 In particular, when the server believes that the address has been
declined and it marks it as "unusable."  That is (or was) the first
thing to check when the address seems to be lost.

Fortunately, I haven't seen it since, and centralized administration is
such a good thing on even a modest network that I haven't switched back.
 The only place I use static addresses is where I'm forced to: my
provider's business class service gives static IP addresses, but doesn't
provide static DHCP service for them.

Your mileage of course will vary.