[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS replacement problem

Andreas Wacknitz a.wacknitz at gmx.de
Tue Jun 3 19:01:49 UTC 2014

Michelle,

Am 03.06.2014 um 20:39 schrieb Michelle Knight <michelle at msknight.com>:

> H Folks,
>
> I've got the following...
>
> mich at jaguar:~# cfgadm -al
> Ap_Id                          Type         Receptacle   Occupant
> Condition sata0/0::dsk/c3t0d0            disk         connected
> configured   ok sata0/1                        sata-port
> empty        unconfigured ok sata0/2::dsk/c3t2d0
> disk         connected    configured   ok
> sata0/3::dsk/c3t3d0            disk         connected    configured
> ok sata0/4::dsk/c3t4d0            disk         connected
> configured   ok sata0/5::dsk/c3t5d0            disk
> connected    configured   ok
>
> mich at jaguar:~# zpool status
>  pool: rpool1
> state: ONLINE
>  scan: none requested
> config:
>
>        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>        rpool1      ONLINE       0     0     0
>          c3t5d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: No known data errors
>
>  pool: tank
> state: ONLINE
>  scan: resilvered 1.70M in 0h0m with 0 errors on Tue Jun  3 18:19:48
>  2014 config:
>
>        NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>        tank          ONLINE       0     0     0
>          raidz1-0    ONLINE       0     0     0
>            c3t4d0s1  ONLINE       0     0     0
>            c3t2d0s1  ONLINE       0     0     0
>            c3t3d0s1  ONLINE       0     0     0

Your zpool „tank“ consists of sliced disks (note the s1 at the end of the device names)!
This is uncommon (only the disk that the system is booted from needs to have a slice because grub needs it).

> errors: No known data errors
>

> I try ...
>
> mich at jaguar:~# zpool replace -f tank c3t4d0  c3t0d0
> cannot replace c3t4d0 with c3t0d0: no such device in pool
>
> ... which is what I am reading in countless articles on-line to do, but
> it isn't working. I don't know why I'm getting this error, or which of
> the two it is complaining about, because if I try...
>
> mich at jaguar:~# zpool offline tank c3t4d0
> cannot offline c3t4d0: no such device in pool

The error message is correct. You have c3t4d0s1 in your zpool, not c3t4d0!
When you created your „tank“ zpool you have been using sliced disks, this is unneeded but possible…

> So I can't get the drive replaced.

I am not that experienced with it but I guess you could issue
zpool replace tank c3t4d0s1 c3t0d0
(using the whole unsliced disk c3t0d0).

Regards,
Andreas