[OpenIndiana-discuss] Live drive configuration

Michelle Knight michelle at msknight.com
Sat Jun 14 07:16:15 UTC 2014

With the update to 151 I seem to have lost the ability to use cfgadm to
configure a drive while the system is running.

To explain, I use an external caddy which is hooked up to the system
via e-sata. I put drives in here, mount them, back up to them and
remove them.

I'd use cfgadm -lav to work out what channel it was on, and then...
cfgadm -c configure <id>
... for wherever it was.

Since the upgrade quite some time ago, however, I just get various
non-descriptive error messages.

Now, the only way is to put the drive in the caddy and bounce the box.
I've just been living with the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas on this please?