[OpenIndiana-discuss] Replacing an unavailable hd...

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Jun 16 08:39:46 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-16 10:18, John Doe via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got my first failed HD under OI and wanted to be sure I don't crash everything when replacing it...

If you are uncertain if the HDD device has really failed, you can also
try to take apart the computer and remove-replug the power and signal
cables, perhaps a few times. This may cleanse them of oxydation and
repair the storage - happened to me dozens of times on both home-made
rigs and brand servers (though rarely on the latter).

Also, while you're near the box taken apart, you can listen to the
disk if it "squeaks" and vibrates when powered on, or no longer works
mechanically indeed.

In fact, recently we've had a power outage that rebooted a couple of
old servers who had a dead and unresponsive HDD each (the poor boxes
waited for replacements to be purchased and received), and now the
disks are back online - several scrubs found no problems (that is,
after the initial resilver/scrub which complained a lot due to lots
of stale data). So there was even no mechanical replugging, just a
power cycle.

HTH,
//Jim