[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana on a Samsung NC10 Netbook - Issues

Discussion list for OpenIndiana openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
Fri May 9 09:42:52 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I'm a new OpenIndiana user and thought I would try to get it going on my
Samsung NC10 netbook. I can successfully boot the live USB distro but the
only option in the GRUB menu that works is the text-mode. This drops me to
a console which I can login fine and otherwise everything looks neat. The
problem is the default GRUB option which looks like it attempts to boot
Gnome. This just leaves the screen a lime green colour and refused to exit
to the console or restart X when I hit the correct keys.

A number of other things I have found:

1: Only gui-install is available. Is there no ncurses based installation
available? At the moment I can only boot off of the USB drive.
2: For user "jack" in the .Xclients file this line is uncommented:
    exec /usr/bin/dtstart jds
    This binary doesn't exist so I'm not sure what or why it's trying to
call this.
3: My Atheros Wifi card is picked up but the only encryption option is WEP.
Not a show stopper but it's something I would like to hack on later to get
WPA2 going. Scanning works well and it picks up my Wifi but cannot connect.
4: I can start a minimal Xserver with XTerm which works fine. All of the
Gnome stuff is installed, it just seems to have a problem starting the
display when I'm in text-mode, and actually running when I'm in GUI mode.
Could be something to do with Naulilus?
5: /var/adm/messages spits out a few errors regarding
nwamd_ncp_handle_enable_event, open_session_request, close_session_request.

I'm happy to start hacking on this stuff to get it working but would be
great to be able to install it to the harddisk to at least have a better
idea of what works. Any ideas? Any pointers much appreciated!

Specs:
Samsung NC10 (NP-NC10-KA01UK)
Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz
1GB DDR2 533MHz RAM
Intel 945GSE Express International Graphics Controller
Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
Wifi: Atheros AR242x / AR542x NIC
Eth: Marvell 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
128GB SanDisk SSD - SDSSDP12

Thanks,
Will