[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sendmail on oi 151_a9

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Oct 14 19:19:04 UTC 2014

Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> writes:

[...]

> You don't actually need the authinfo feature to use authinfo.  You
> can put the same data in the access database instead.  The README
> file describes how to do that.  These are my access files:
>
>     -rw-r-----   1 root     root         172 Jul  3  2011 /etc/mail/access
>     -rw-r-----   1 root     root       32768 Jul  3  2011 /etc/mail/access.db
>
> The contents are like this:
>
> AuthInfo:[mail.messagingengine.com] "U:user at domain" "P:password" "M:PLAIN"
> AuthInfo:mail.messagingengine.com "U:user at domain" "P:password" "M:PLAIN"

Thank you.

trying to do it that way, after setting up what I think is what you
suggested.

It appears the auth is not working... or at least that what it appears
is happening in smtp output from sending mail with mailx -v... it gets
to the part where data in injected and just stops.

If I then restart sendmail the message gets deferred here apparently
and never sent.  Sort of seems like access.db is not being consulted.

cat: /etc/mail/access: No such file or directory
 (uid and passwd munged)

 Authinfo:mail.messagingengine.com "U:MYUID" "P:MYPASSWD" "M:LOGIN PLAIN"

Seems to get to the injection part and stop... apparently auth is not
working? (It actually appears that auth did work... to my eyes, but I
think not)

No EHLO from the smarthost

harry > reader at jtan.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
220 oih.local.lan ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.4+Sun/8.14.4; Tue, 14 Oct 2014 15:06:01 -0400 (EDT)
>>> EHLO oih.local.lan
250-oih.local.lan Hello oih [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-EXPN
250-VERB
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
>>> VERB
250 2.0.0 Verbose mode
250 2.1.0 <harry at oih.local.lan>... Sender ok
>>> RCPT To:<reader at jtan.com>
>>> DATA
250 2.1.5 <reader at jtan.com>... Recipient ok
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself