[OpenIndiana-discuss] firefox 31.2.0esr broken?

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 04:30:43 UTC 2014

On 10/15/14 04:06 AM, Marion Hakanson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Today I installed the 31.2.0esr release of firefox, obtained here:
>
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/31.2.0esr/contrib/solar
> is_pkgadd/firefox-31.2.0esr.en-US.opensolaris-i386-pkg.bz2

I used Firefox 31.1.1 ESR till now (ad 28 ESR before) and it worked for me.
Haven't tried 31.2 yet, but will.

> The system in question is running OpenIndiana oi151a7 (because it can
> still play flash videos), 64-bit.
151a7 is still best OI release ever.
151a8 broke playing flash amongst other things and so on.
It is said OpenSXCE developer Martin Bochnig (martin at martux.org) foud
solution for Flash in it's latest distro release, but was unwilling to
describe solution nor release the source, without money compensation
and someone _stupidly_ removed Martin's acces to this OI mailing
list(s), without asking anyone but one pan asking him to, due to
political reasons, so we are all at loss here.

Flash could be used if first you go to:
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/  and then flash would
temporarily work in a browser.

> This version of firefox does not allow me to save downloaded files.  The
> symptoms are that every download, or "Save As" action returns immediately,
> and the Download window just shows "Failed" for the item.
You can try reporting bug to Ginn Chen (ginn.chen at oracle.com), that as I
know is contributing Mozilla products builds, including Lightning calendar.
You can also try to ask for releasing source patches used.
Contributed builds used to require newest OracleStudio, that required
paying support to get newest updates for compiler.
I am not sure but talked about moving to GCC for C++ issues, so you
might  see it GCC is used now.

Not having /dev updates does not help the issue,
because it is hard (yet not impossible) to contribute external packages
to moving target as Hipster,
it is much easier with /dev that is not moving in between releases.