[OpenIndiana-discuss] Bash bug issue

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 18:27:50 UTC 2014

I know I created the original post that sparked this debate, but I have to
say that we've been checking our servers all day, and we cannot get any of
them to act compromised ... we don't use bash scripts in our cgi-bin and
nothing seems to try to run bash at all (fuser `which bash` only returns my
shells)

The ssh things could be an issue, but we're nuking all ssh authorized_keys
wherever we find them, and we don't have accounts restricted to running
specific applications via ssh, so the users who can ssh in should know what
they're doing, or not know so much that they aren't a threat.

I do have bash scripts on our system that users run manually, but that is
because the old Solaris 10 /bin/sh is brain-dead, csh is a nasty piece of
work for scripting and ksh scripts don't seem as portable to Linux/old
Solaris boxes.

Jon