[OpenIndiana-discuss] Time-slider percentages

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Aug 23 18:31:46 UTC 2015

On OS's like OI 151_a9, when the `time-slider' app from
menu System/administration/time-slider is in working order, I'm
curious why the percentage allowed for snapshots is so high?

On my setup, `the time-slider manager' allows 70-90 % of disk space to
be set for the storage of snapshots... above your choice the oldest
get deleted.

That seems like an awfully high percentage... even at the lowest
setting of 70%.

Maybe I'm missing something here... as I am quite the greenhorn on
this. But it appears to mean the manager would allow, at the least,
70% of available disk space to be devoted to snapshots.  So one could
be devoting well over half of the disk space to snapshots.

Is that what folks are expecting in their usage? ... allowing less than
half of disc space for data?

Could one make that percentage lower by hand editing something in the
time-slider files?

Would that be a fool hardy thing to do?