[OpenIndiana-discuss] Update of JPEG libraries

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 22:35:46 UTC 2015

Hi Peter,

I believe that libjpeg-turbo ought to be a straight drop-in replacement for
> the older ijg jpeg library.
> That's the claim, and the limited testing I've done hasn't thrown up any
> obvious problems. Are you
> aware of any reason not to simply replace the old ijg libjpeg with the one
> from libjpeg-turbo?

Bob Friesenhahn mentioned that libjpeg-turbo could be flaky in some
edge-cases and possible concerns regarding incorrect memory allocation.
Some references related to CVEs or Mozilla and Chrome development seemed to
confirm that.Therefore I just chose to setup things in a conservative way
and if/when the time comes we can switch the links to libjpeg-turbo 6b.
In any case, I do not have time to investigate further (nor the will,
considering priorities), so it is better to break things in several
stages... At the end of the day since Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and Chrome
ended up using libjpeg-turbo and people use jpeg_mem_src/dst I think we'll
end up slowly with libjpeg8-turbo as default.

Regards

Aurelien