[OpenIndiana-discuss] SATA Expansion cards

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 19:49:27 UTC 2015

cjt wrote:
> On 01/31/2015 06:45 PM, Jerry Kemp wrote:
>> I thought that SATA expansion cards were always bad news when used with
>> Solaris, and Solaris based distro's.
>>
>> There are tons of horror stories out there, primarily thru the ZFS
>> mailing list.
>>
>> Has this changed?
>>
>> Are there end users out there using SATA expansion cards with
>> OpenIndiana, Solaris, etc. with positive and reliable results?
>>
>> Jerry
>
> FWIW, I have a server doing video streaming that has a multitude of
> Intel RES2SV240 expanders hanging off of LSI controllers, and have not
> experienced problems except when I first configured it and tried to
> have multiple layers of expander.  I don't recall what exactly the
> problem was (it was quite a while ago), but I no longer try to hang
> expanders off of other expanders.

SAS or SATA drives?
The problems are with the poor implementations of SATA Tunneling
Protocol in the SAS expanders, so it only impacts SATA drives, not SAS
drives.

Having said that, I haven't heard of anyone using RES2SV240 before - do
you know if it uses standard LSI SAS expander chips, or something else?

--
Andrew Gabriel