[OpenIndiana-discuss] Does OpenBSD support ZFS?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Feb 3 02:33:07 UTC 2015

On 02/ 2/15 04:02 PM, jay at m5.chicago.il.us wrote:
> One of the members of this mailing list has recently written about
> upgrading his Sparc computer from Solaris 11 to OpenBSD, because
> (highly ironically), new versions of Solaris 11 do not support his
> Sparc hardware.

I don't see the irony there - Solaris was always a commercial OS and
dropped support for hardware that was no longer commercially viable
to maintain - all the way back to when Solaris 2.0 first shipped without
Sun/3 support.   sun4, sun4c, sun4d, sun4m all got dropped when their
time had passed - it would be far more surprising if Solaris 11 kept
sun4u support forever.   Very few commercial OS'es sold in 2011 and later
still support computers from 1998 (such as a Ultra 5).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solaris_%28operating_system%29#Version_history

> Or, is it possible that I am mistaken?  Is there an OpenBSD
> implementation of ZFS of which I am unaware?

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq1.html#HowAbout - "Will ZFS be added to OpenBSD?"

	-alan-