[OpenIndiana-discuss] No longer using OI Desktop

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 4 15:14:30 UTC 2015

> Just a note to say that I have stopped using OI on the desktop, and have
> moved to the "backup" system of Ubuntu on the laptop.

Really? I am deeply touched!

> OI Hipster no longer worked well with Firefox provided on the Mozilla
> website (every time a dialog box appeared there was a 50% chance it would
> crash, and a 100% chance if the mouse cursor went near it), and the version
> 24 in the repository didn't run flash at all, so I couldn't use the
> Enterprise Manager from Oracle.  I got around this using Martin Bochnig's
> version for which I was very grateful.

The real problem is that OI has no community---just people who contribute
almost nothing (of course there are brilliant exceptions...) and who are
always critical about this and about that. Firefox is being compiled on
Indiana 134 and that's the problem. In the past I compiled gimp 2.8 on
the same system and although it worked just fine, when I tried on OpenIndiana
and a friend tried on Solaris 11, it did not work at all. So be my guest
and compile it on your system and make it work! Adobe Acrobat 9.4.1, the
latest version for Solaris does not work as it should. Adobe stopped shipping
binaries for Solaris, guess why? As about the drivers, why don't you work
on the new driver? Linux was made what it is today because many people
worked and contributed code for various projects. Once there was some
"rumors" that a team of people would work in German university to build
things, I guess nothing happened. Yet this would be an ideal experiment
since students have the potential and the enthusiasm required for such
a project. So instead of reporting such things, please try to improve the
situation!

A.S.