[OpenIndiana-discuss] No longer using OI Desktop

Tim Aslat tim at spyderweb.com.au
Thu Jun 4 23:06:15 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I have been using FreeBSD on desktop for about 10 years.  I fell in love
with the ports collection after running into binary package hell with
Redhat linux in the early 2000s, and decided it would make an
interesting desktop OS as well.

My only problem with FreeBSD as a desktop is video drivers.  Nvidia are
the only ones doing a half decent 3D accelerated desktop and I'm stuck
with binary drivers.  I was hoping that with AMD open sourcing the
drivers for ATI cards things would get better, but not luck on that
front just yet.

Also the fact that FreeBSD has root ZFS pool support makes things rather
easy on the maintenance front.

Cheers

Tim

--