[OpenIndiana-discuss] What is the recommended way to back up root pool?

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Fri Nov 6 23:39:30 UTC 2015

On 11/ 6/15 03:27 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> Probably the subject line should have been "What is the recommended way to
> restore configuration from the root pool"?
>
> It seems easy enough to back up the root pool (via filesystem or zfs send) but
> restoring the desired parts on top of a freshly installed root pool (perhaps
> based on a fresher OS release) is not so clear. For example, how does one
> restore persistent networking configuration (links, bridges, IP interfaces)?
>
> Bob

I think it is a great topic of discussion.  As much as I love working with
Solaris and Solaris based distro's, its far from perfect.

The last thing I ever thought I would do was to speak highly of AIX, the Unix
with the equivalent of the Windows registry (ODM database), but AIX has a way to
back up and restore an existing (configured) system to a new/blank disk.

(Scope) creeping out further, can any of the *BSD's or Lunux distro's do a full
system restore to blank disk?

Jerry