[OpenIndiana-discuss] Kernel panic on hung zpool accessed via lofi

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 06:35:48 UTC 2015

On 09/16/15 10:42 PM, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
>> Also what OI/illumos is that, because I was reading long ago there
>> were some bugs solved in illumos for mpt_sas.
>
> Somewhere around 18 months ago IIRC, Nexenta pushed a load of fixes
> for this into their git repo. I don't think I've seen these picked up
> yet by Illumos, although maybe I missed it? The fixes were in mpt_sas
> and FMA, to more accurately determine when disks are going bad by
> pushing the timing of the SCSI commands right down to the bottom of
> the stack (so delays in the software stack are not mistaken for bad
> drives), and to have FMA better analyse and handle errors when they do
> happen.

It is strange how companies in illumos ecosystem do not push their
changes (or do push veeery slow and late) to illumos upstream, but keep
them by themselves i their codebase.
And if other distros want to have them, they need to port them
themselves in possibly different ways.

Maybe illumos have big barrier on code quality of what enters in illumos
or not,
regarding "always stable" mantra without stable/supportable/older
illumos releases and developing branches.