[OpenIndiana-discuss] Testing updates from /dev to /hipster-2015 and /hipster

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Sat May 7 12:06:26 UTC 2016

Nikola M писал 07.05.2016 09:11:

> So if some problem with updating is found, we can spin up build
> process and renew some packages in hipster-2015, while making also the
> same changes in /hipster if it makes better for /dev update.
> After that, hipster-2015 -> 20160421 snapshot update should also work
> (we can spin also up temporary unchanging 20160421 repo to test it,
> like dev-testing or something)
> If it works right, then it can truly land in /dev like a release , and
> pointing that there are 2 paths from there, waiting for next /dev
> refresh (and posting bug reports in meantime) and updating to /hipster
> to include itself in newest changes.
> At some point in time, then landing from /hipster to /dev would be not
> hard task, if all packages are sane enough at that moment.
> So /hipster stays wild and crazy, so to speak and people wanting to
> have testing and quality checks before landing in /dev could take part
> in testing.

Not sure that we can update /hipster-2015 fast. Current build server
can't be used for this,
as it has already gone further. So, for example, if you want to rebuild
A and A needs B, and
build server has B installed from /hipster, and B from /hipster has
higher version than B from /hipster-2015
it can't publish A package, compatible with /hipster-2015.

So, to update /hipster-2015 you should deploy server on Hipster 2015.10
snapshot, update it, then rebuild packages
and publish them to /hipster-2015. Or just do cosmetic changes whith
pkgrecv/pkgmogrify/pkgsend.

---