[oi-dev] Developer meeting

Chris Ridd chrisridd at mac.com
Thu Dec 2 06:19:26 UTC 2010

On 1 Dec 2010, at 17:01, Jesus Cea wrote:

> On 30/11/10 20:48, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
>> I'd like to propose that we hold developer meetings regular basis
>> either on IRC
>
> I would rather prefer to use XMPP/Jabber. We don't need to use a
> "centralized" infraestructure we don't own at all.

I agree - there's no reason not to run an XMPP server on openindiana.org, just like it runs an MTA for mail. There are free XMPP servers (ejabberd is one I've heard most about, and would probably be fine for a small group like this) and commercial ones (my company sells the one used at jabber.org for example). We'd be able to keep chat transcripts centrally, that sort of thing.

Using irc.freenode.net feels a bit like us choosing to email using Lotus Notes instead of SMTP :-)

Good idea. My JID is chris.ridd at isode.com.

> PS: If you use Gmail, you automatically are in the XMPP network.

Accounts at jabber.org are also free.

Cheers,

Chris