[oi-dev] OpenIndiana and illumos

BM bogdan.maryniuk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 02:45:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Garrett D'Amore <garrett at nexenta.com> wrote:
> And to those of you running OI "in production", you're nuts.  OI has had
> exactly "one" release (of dubious quality), and has a sum total of a
> half dozen engineers behind it; and I'm not sure all of them are
> actually software engineers and not just integrators.  I sure as heck
> don't advocate illumos for production use *yet*, even though my own
> desktop runs it.  (Although I'm working hard to get it into a condition
> when I will be happy to do so.)

1. http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Frequently+Asked+Questions#FrequentlyAskedQuestions-WhatistherelationshipbetweenOpenIndianaandIllumos%3F

2. http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Available+IPS+Repositories — there
is a placeholder for http://pkg.openindiana.org/illumos

As of points are totally valid and OI should move to Illumos, yet
nobody went around to insult people called them "nuts" or "fools" (on
IRC), who made a mistake to use that super-buggy Nexenta, that was
constantly losing dependencies, screwing up APT and is based on a
prehistoric Debian repos. Maybe we also should join nexenta-dev@ and
yapping all the users are morons that using it, what you think? And
because of that never happend, Anil could do a great job, trying to
fix that stuff step by step.

If I were you, I would apologize for this.

P.S. I don't really give a hoot about 151a or "too little / too late",
because some of our machines are running snv_127 and older, some of
them has even Solaris 8, which is old enough to get another "nut"
award. :-(

--
Kind regards, BM

Things, that are stupid at the beginning, rarely ends up wisely.