[oi-dev] OpenIndiana and illumos

Julian Wiesener jw at vtoc.de
Thu Nov 18 11:14:28 UTC 2010

Hi,

i agree with Alasdair in the most points, goal should be an
Oracle-Indipendend OS based on Illumos.

On 11/18/10 10:28 AM, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
> We just need more developers!

I don't think that we aktually need just more developers. What we need
is a project structure that matches the size of the developers team
under respect of the time the people in that team like to spend on OI.
Our current bi-week goals, large commitiee crowds and very responding
consolidation leads is keeping peoplefrom picking up lead jobs, because
they're not payed half-/full-time developers and don't want to dedicate
the whole life beside of dayjob and sleeping to OI. As anyone may have
noticed, more than two weeks have passed since our last release. Also it
is unrealisic to belive, that future codedrops from oracle will be
easier to integrate (we can't stay on KVM-less ON_147 with future XNV,
we can't more to KMS-less Illumos XNV). If our reality is currently that
we cannot build a Release in two months, there is no sense in planing
for bi-weekly releases.
I agree with Alasdair that we should finisch 148 first, since it is an
improvement to 147 and mostly done (g11n dropped as before). And i also
think we should move on with a illumos based >=149 next. But we should
find a structure that allows progress first.

Actually i'm on that HR list, and actually i'm not getting me into any
"Leading" role as long as the goals does not match the time i like to
spend on OI. I would take responsibility for one Consolidation under
different goals, as i also still like to help any consolidation that
have a leader wich accept and live the current bi-weekly goals.
Unfortunetly it seems noone (including Alasdair) does at now.

Regards,
Julian

PS: i really would appreciate if you could keep chatting at oi-discuss.
oi-dev today send me 15 mails of which 13 are not oi-development
relatet, partial not even OI related at all. I don't care who's a nut
and what userland ubuntu is about, sometimes a small statement can and
should be ignored.