[oi-dev] [illumos-Developer] OpenIndiana and illumos, part 2

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Thu Nov 18 20:42:00 UTC 2010

Thanks for helping to make my goals clear, Albert.

Let me elucidate a bit more.

I'm specifically not interested in distro that attempts to rehash what
Oracle is doing, or one who's sole benefit is a more liberal license
than what Oracle provides.  For a variety of technical reasons, I don't
even think such a distribution is *possible* -- at least not without the
complete source code (and the right to use it!) for all of Oracle's
Solaris code.

I *do* need a distribution that is more closely aligned with the goals
of illumos, which includes significant innovation.  Today there is
nothing filling that gap properly.  I'm happy to have OpenIndiana be
that distribution, but some changes in the way OI runs itself (and more
specifically in what OI drives for) are required to get there.  If I see
that OI is interested in filling that role and willing to make the
necessary changes, then I'm willing to invest resources to help.

However, if OI wants to remain truly independent of illumos, and still
wants to aim for compatibility with Oracle Solaris, or OpenSolaris, as a
primary goal, even at the cost of innovation in illumos, then I don't
think OI can fill the needs of illumos.  In which case I need to invest
elsewhere, even if it first seems like a duplication of effort.

Let me spell this out a bit more clearly.  There are large financial
motivators behind illumos, and a number of us have staked not just our
spare time but our entire careers and in some cases our businesses on
this bet.  So, we're going to see our goals through, one way or the
other.  The question is whether OI is going to come along for the ride,
or be left behind.

If that sounds a bit melodramatic, then I'm sorry, but I do think its
important the folks involved in deciding the future of OI understand
what's at stake from illumos' perspective.  This is far more than a part
time hobby thing.

	- Garrett