[oi-dev] [OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing VBox

Sunay Tripathi tripathi.sunay at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 02:45:40 UTC 2010

On 10/26/10 07:34 PM, Albert Lee wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Alasdair Lumsden<alasdairrr at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Really, the answer is for someone to compile the open source version of VirtualBox for OpenIndiana with this check fixed. We'd be more than happy to provide it in our repos assuming the licensing permits.
>>

> Unfortunately, the USB passthrough isn't available in the "Open Source
> Edition" or OSE.

Do you know if it uses uname or sysinfo() call to find out the OS
version? /bin/uname can be replaced by a simple shell script
or one could create a new sysinfo() in a library and LD_PRELOAD
that instead. I think returning snv147 (which is what you really
are) should be OK in this case. I think there was also a 3rd
party kernel driver that allowed to do similar things (except
I can't remember the name right now). That would take care of
both uname and sysinfo().

Cheers,
Sunay