[oi-dev] [OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing VBox

Kyle McDonald kmcdonald at egenera.com
Wed Oct 27 12:25:20 UTC 2010

On 10/22/2010 4:46 PM, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
> Hi Kyle,
>
> On 22 Oct 2010, at 19:23, Kyle McDonald wrote:

> Programs that check for system features by checking that string are
broken, and rather than creating a huge amount of work by customising
the OS, really, the app should be fixed. I'm afraid oi_ will be staying :)

I understand this is a broken way of doing things. I try to refrain
from it myself.

However the fact is that many 2rd part ISV's do things like this
(Including Sun in this case!) and it will break installs on OI - thus
making it less attractive. As you say below I can work around it, but
that won't help less technical users.

> I know that isn't a helpful answer, but you can edit /etc/release to
make it match if you need to. You could also recompile ONNV if you
wanted, with snv_ instead of oi_. A faster method would be to hack up
uname to provide the string you need.

It's not me I"m worried about.
> Keep in mind when Solaris 11 Express comes out, it will almost
certainly not have snv_XXX as a string.
Nope, it will have 's11.' And vendors will check for that either
instead or in addition to snv.

Note that there is precedence for keeping the uname strings static for
exactly this purpose. It's one reason why uname continued to report
'SunOS' even after the name was changed to Solaris.
> Really, the answer is for someone to compile the open source version of
VirtualBox for OpenIndiana with this check fixed. We'd be more than
happy to provide it in our repos assuming the licensing permits.

Unfortunately the OS release of vBox doesn't include the USB pass
through feature that is being blocked from being installed by this issue.

But, I'm not personally worried as I can get it installed myself. I'm
just wondering about the average user?

What happens if it's MatLab, Pro Engineer, or Cadence, or Synopsys, or
even Oracle11 that won't install?

   -Kyle