[oi-dev] New OpenIndiana Servers

Alasdair Lumsden alasdair at lumsden.biz
Wed Sep 22 00:20:17 UTC 2010

Hi All,

We had a shipment of Dell servers today (Tuesday). They've been racked up and tomorrow I should be able to get them built up for the OI project.

The box that was designated for doing fast builds was meant to contain Intel E5640 CPUs, but unfortunately our supplier didn't have any and shipped X5550 CPUs instead. These are roughly the same speed apparently according to http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Oh well - better than a kick in the teeth :P

At some point over the next 6 months I might be tempted to get something like an Intel Core i7 X 995, which is a stupidly fast desktop CPU, which could in theory more than halve the JDS build time.

Cheers,

Alasdair