[oi-dev] Distribution build system

Deano deano at rattie.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 12:13:50 UTC 2011

Hello,

The conversation on the Distributed build system stalled on finer points but
the large idea seemed to have everyone support. A continuous build system,
that automatically went through all consolidations would be a major step
forward for the OI development process.

So lets get things moved on a least for the most basic system we all agree
would be useful. I looked into some more advanced build systems (Scons, WAF,
etc.) but tbh all were slightly overkill for what the basic simple system
needs which is simply a makefile or script that grabs each consolidation,
sets up the environment, builds and moves onto the next (with appropriate
error handling etc.)

Aszezo has some idea and how to get this party started I believe, so
probably best for him to make more concrete suggestions?

If we could get a empty framework in place and running, we could then pop in
each consolidation in turn when ready, and therefore gradually get our
continuous build system working, the particularly troublesome ones don't
have to stop the easier ones.

A hack-a-thon might make an ideal time for people to get together and push
this all together?

Thoughts please,
Deano