[oi-dev] Osol bug id 5748

Frank Middleton f.middleton at apogeect.com
Thu Apr 14 17:05:28 UTC 2011

On 04/08/11 19:43, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> I suppose - I've never needed the full tree built debuggable, just one or
> two modules, so never put any thought or effort into that.

Sorry, I meant setting a flag somewhere in the modules of interest that
buildit could pick up.

> The nvidia driver obfuscates its symbols, only the nvidia developers can
> do much if you're looping in there.

It could be, but the loops seem to be in user space, and the bug(s) seem to
affect non-nvidia users too. Is there an easy way to tell if it is a driver
problem or not?

If it is a driver problem, what is the best way if any to get Nvidia to
look at it?

If the bug is in the Xorg signalling code, how would the putative fix(es)
make it upstream?

---

The interaction between hald and the hal code in Xorg, and the interaction
between the hal code in Xorg and the mainline signalling code in Xorg is
complex, too much so for my analytical skills. However it seems to me that
the code that enables and disables signalling is partially duplicated and
prone to the very race condition that seems to be occurring. It is quite
possible that building Xorg with debug might slow it enough that the race
no longer occurs, or occurs far more infrequently. I have a suitable build
ready to try out this hypothesis but for a variety of reasons it will take
a few more days for me to have the time to do it. In the interim, any
thoughts you might have would be much appreciated. Subtle race
conditions are notoriously difficult to debug...

Cheers -- Frank