[oi-dev] 1341 Upgrade cmake to the latest version - bitbucket changeset: Commit dcc62cd7b504 - Please review

Andrew M. Hettinger AHettinger at Prominic.NET
Thu Aug 11 21:24:04 UTC 2011

Andrew Hettinger
http://Prominic.NET  ||  AHettinger at Prominic.NET
Tel:  866.339.3169 (toll free) -or- +1.217.356.2888 x.110 (int'l)
Fax: 866.372.3356 (toll free) -or- +1.217.356.3356            (int'l)

Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com> wrote on 08/11/2011 02:42:41 AM:

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 3:06 AM, Andrew M. Hettinger
> <AHettinger at prominic.net> wrote:
> > It was removed because there should be nothing in there. The
documentation
> > EXPLICITLY says that. This document also explicitly lists where
additions
> > should go (in /opt). This is not exactly a new standard.
> >
> > That said, why would you look for something in /usr/local?
>
> Because software often *is* installed there. Large amounts of open
> source software will put themselves there by default. It's very common
> and well known as a location for (non-system) software to be found.
>
> The standards say where the system should put stuff. Users can
> put stuff wherever they like. In fact, /usr/local is a very good place
> to put stuff precisely because you should be pretty well guaranteed
> that you're not going to conflict with anything else.

In most cases, yes, in this case it's not just undefined but defined as
either non-existent or a symlink to /opt/local.

> >If we are just
> > going to willy-nilly be adding directories, we should just have it
search
> > the entire filesystem, it's the only way be sure.
> >
> > If there is a desire to change from Solaris standards to the Linux
Standard
> > Base, so be it, but if we are going down that route, I'd like to see it
> > explicitly made clear.
>
> This isn't about deviating from standards. The standards say where
> the system should place stuff. No one is suggesting we start installing
> our software in /usr/local.

If the standard ignored it, that would be true. It doesn't.

> Users are free to do their own thing, and
> having cmake look in a well-known place where they're likely to have
> installed software seems to me like a good thing. If this is a
> "standards based" install, then it's a no-op. If the user is expecting
> cmake to pick up the libwotsit they're just installed there and we
> deliberately stop cmake from finding it, then they'll just get pissed off
> and regard cmake (and the OS as a whole) as broken. Having it look
> in /usr/local last (so it checks all the packaged system locations first)
> would seem a reasonable precaution.

I think a better solution is to define /usr/local as a symlink
to /opt/local in the install, and set cmake to look there. That is in line
with what the standard says (it's practically recommended), allows cmake to
find it (by searching for things in /opt/local, where they should be), and
has the effect the user expects.