[oi-dev] Version bumping of packages in /dev

Jeppe Toustrup openindiana at tenzer.dk
Thu Dec 15 18:40:43 UTC 2011

Hi

I was wondering if there is something that holds us from doing simple
version bumps of packages inside the /dev repository. Small packages
such as Git, stunnel and PHP comes to mind, but also larger
applications such as Apache or MySQL could use version bumps.
Is this because of lack of man power, or is there a policy as to when
package versions are bumped?

Also on a related note, are there any requirements for adding new
packages to the repository? Node.js would for instance be nice to have
in the repository, is there anything holding us from adding that?

I have created my own little repository with a few packages so far, in
order to get newer versions of applications or in order to add
applications which currently don't exist in the official repository. I
thought however that I would ask the above questions, since the work I
do on this, might as well benefit other people who would like to use
the same packages.

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards
Jeppe Toustrup (aka. Tenzer)