[oi-dev] SPARC Text Installer

MATTHEW WILBY matthewwilby at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 23 09:06:20 UTC 2011

Good Morning,

I've seen various people enquire about when we are going to release a SPARCiso.

What I'd like to propose is that we work towards preparing a dev text installer,
using Illumos and incorporating the the hard work done on g11n, and a recent
build of SFW etc. I think most people are using SPARC based servers as opposed
to workstations, so I suspect XNV/JDS can follow at a later date if there is
interest.

I believe it's important to get a *development* release out the door to allow
people to test on the SPARC platform to provide feedback, generate additional
interest and give people an alternative to Oracle tax.

I'm not suggesting this should be a stable release. I'm not sure what
consolidation versions should be used.

As I commented on IRC last night I'm willing to put in the effort to help get
this done, but will need some guidance along the way.

Bad idea or not, I'm hoping that this will get a conversation going as I believe
we need to make a decision about where we are going with the SPARC platform.....

:-)

Cheers,

Matt (Wilbs)