[oi-dev] illumos based OpenIndiana DVD

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 14:14:57 UTC 2011

Andrzej,

Tested OI_148a. Boots fine and works with my test hardware. No major problems seen at this time after reviewing it for a few hours. Nvidia video driver 256.44 works fine (i.e. 2D/3D) on my test video hardware as well.

The only noticeable desktop application issues in OI_148a are from the default JDS_148 packages from the OI_148 build.

1. GTKAM crashes (i.e. digital camera app, segmentation fault) during startup.

2. Print Manager (in Preferences) gives an error during startup.

I reported this before for the original OI_148 and in the bug reports to Guido. GTKam is not a major issue to me, but best to fix this and any printer management concerns for 'stable' review. Most of the issues reported seem to deal with desktop-related issues and providing a fixed  'bge' network driver.

For desktop usage, OI_148a seems 'almost' fine as a replacement to the OI_148 and OSOL_134 distro. USB/wireless connectivity seems to work fine as well.

As for putting 'Illumos' branding everywhere, careful not to break legacy management scripts that pull OS version information from the 'uname' command and /etc/* area.

Otherwise, GREAT job so far....

~ Ken Mays