[oi-dev] Bug tracking

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 12:20:45 UTC 2011

On 01/13/11 09:04 PM, Julian Wiesener wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> as a result of an conversation in #oi-dev, i like to make a proposal for
> a Bug-Team.

Sounds like a good plan!

> Currently we do have a bug tracker, but noone who is reliably tracking
> it. Therefore the Bug-Team is to be founded. The primary responsibility
> of the Bug-Team is to assign bugs to a proper developers. Thus a
> developer will get informed by mail, that there is a new bug report for
> its area. Decisions how the Bug Team will look like and who is doing
> that will be made at the next OI Meeting, thus my mail have to be read
> only as my personal proposal.

I also imagine one of the main tasks will be to triage bugs such that
quite a lot of them are set to "Rejected", "Will not fix" or similar.
Obviously with the limited resources we have, requests for kitchen sinks
or "My obscure bit of hardware doesn't work" will have to be rejected.

Also posting comments on bugs and requesting additional information if
the information supplied is insufficient would be helpful, as well as
being good "PR" in the sense it will demonstrate we're a caring,
listening project.

<snip>

> The work of the Bug Team is subjected to be a path of learning, not
> everything will work perfect in the first place, everyone should be
> aware of it as well as everyone is aware of the fact that Bug Team
> members are benevolent people who help the project.

Absolutely.

> Matt Wilby (Wilbs in irc) is so far willing to be the person who will
> start this effort and will be the contact person of anyone who is
> willing join the Bug Team.

Great - thanks Matt! With time others will join you and if you need
anything just poke people - and if people don't respond, poke them more,
or poke other people. We'll try to help as much as possible and
appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Alasdair