[oi-dev] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch - A package list

Deano deano at rattie.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 23:25:39 UTC 2011

Hi Colin,

Seems a good list, the only area I think we  might want to look at, is if we
should try to remove  duplicates of an application area. As we are very
short of resources and time for this first Stable Branch I think it might be
better to just go for one of each application area?

I know that will not please everything, but should be easier to maintain
whilst getting the system in place?

Not a mail person, so I'll skip that heated debate. I'd say mysql for sure,
but do we need another database? Same with web servers, I'd say Apache for
sure maybe drop lighttp?

I know this kind of of culling will cause lots of "But X is better" (I'm the
same for web servers, I never use Apache, just Nginx) but may make it easier
until we get more people on it? Perhaps simple based on popularity rather
than personal choice (to make it easier to justify?).

Of course we might have enough to do more packages and I'm being pessimistic
about how many we can 'afford' to have in the first Stable build.

Just my 2 pence.

Deano