[oi-dev] Security Work

Guido Berhoerster gber at openindiana.org
Mon Jan 24 17:09:56 UTC 2011

* Alasdair Lumsden <alasdairrr at gmail.com> [2011-01-24 14:05]:
> On the wiki page I still need to fill in their version and
> consolidation, and update the security issues page for them - if
> anyone else would like to help me do that, let me know (I'd
> appreciate it).

The list looks ok, please keep leaf packages and dependencies in
separate tables, that'll make it easier to extend/reduce the list
in the future.

> At the moment our staffing numbers to maintain this are quite low
> and as such it's a lot of work. But as the saying goes, "many hands
> make light work".
>
> So I'd like to ask if anyone would object to me posting to
> OpenIndiana-Discuss asking for security volunteers? We'll need to
> ensure we get trustworthy people capable of helping rather than
> hindering.
>
> I'm thinking volunteers would be best served by having a mentor, and
> that we should group the software together by consolidation.
>
> We may want to write a job spec and split it into two parts - one
> "Monitoring and Alerting", for less technical people, and the other
> "Patching and building" for those who can learn to build
> consolidations.
>
> I'd appreciate feedback.

I would agree that we take contributions but have them reviewed
by one or two "core developers", after a certain amount of time
and good quality contributions people can become themselves
reviewers.

--
Guido Berhoerster