[oi-dev] Fwd: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Documentation-Project

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Sun Jun 5 15:14:14 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 17:04 +0200, Volker A. Brandt wrote:
> > Iirc, Sphinx supported export to a variety of formats.  Since
> > documentation is something developers are historically far less keen on
> > than writing code and we've got someone interested stepping up and
> > contributing in this much neglected capacity, barring any technical
> > reasons to the contrary, my vote would be to give Tobias the thumbs up.
>
> Having glanced at the Sphinx web site, it is not obvious to me if
> there are options to generate docbook output.  Sphinx seems very
> Python-centric to me, which I'd rather avoid.
>
> Of course when Tobias does the work he gets to decide what tool to
> use.  I'd feel better if all the time and effort spent on the content
> can be reused when the documentation is re-tooled to something more
> common, like docbook.

I agree that docbook would be preferable, but I don't want to scare a
potential contributor off by being too picky about toolset, or to spend
so much time debating it that the window for his class project closes.
Spinx exports to html, latex, and man, iirc.  If exported to Latex, then
aren't there lots of existing tools to export to various formats from
there, e.g. Docbook?

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>