[oi-dev] Update process before the stable release

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 11:31:10 UTC 2011

HI,

A few notes:

1. Resolve a few of the 26 bugs reported at: https://www.illumos.org/projects/openindiana/issues?query_id=5

2. Using numbers and letters are OK. So, oi_1.0 works and you can still use lettering for respins as well (i.e. oi_#.#.(a-z)) to utilize a 'major.minor.respin' type notation.

Note: Check this against IPS and the distro constructor architecture methodology on package management - naming, updates, and such.

3. Respin based on a consensual vote during oi-dev team meetings on IRC and email
for those absent from meetings (just as a courtesy).

I'd note that a respin is needed soon to resolve issues with the Nvidia driver, recent illumos_gate issues with ZFS, libusb/gtkam, installer issues, and other minor issues noted in the 'blocking' bug reports. Why? This will migrate us away from the oi_148b respin which had some of the fixes and hopefully successfully migrate us away from oi_147 (which a few people are still using due to the issues with oi_148 and even a few users of the 'illumos live' 64-bit snapshot (Joyent)). I see OpenIndiana as a 'qualitive' distro
to evaluate and use the projects and technology from legacy OpenSolaris and FOSS streams that can be used in production environments.

Two cents and a biscuit...
~ Ken Mays