[oi-dev] Git as a version control system for new OI projects

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Wed Jun 22 19:12:31 UTC 2011

On 6/22/11 3:04 PM, Jesus Cea wrote:
> Do you have hard data to support your comment that GIT is more used that
> HG?. Moreover, in our arena? (OS development, distro creation).
I think it is a very very safe assumption.

I personally know of at least 20,000 people who use git in their day
jobs, and that's just at one company.

I never even heard of mercurial before looking into this project. It's
definitely much more of a niche within a niche.

Go to the book store and tell me how many books you can find on each
subject.

Add to that pretty much anyone doing Linux kernel development, and
everyone on github. It's also the default for new projects in Apple's
Xcode, IIRC, so it's probably used quite heavily in the iOS and OS X
communities.

Unless there is a sizable army of mercurial users that have sequestered
themselves from society (and who don't buy books)....

This contingency was not meant to offend my Amish brothers, who
shouldn't be on the Internet reading this in the first place.

-M