[oi-dev] Git as a version control system for new OI projects

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Jun 22 20:59:14 UTC 2011

On 06/22/11 01:49 PM, Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de wrote:
> Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> On 06/22/11 12:04 PM, Jesus Cea wrote:
>>> Do you have hard data to support your comment that GIT is more used that
>>> HG?. Moreover, in our arena? (OS development, distro creation).
>>
>> The lead is clearer in the OS develoepment & distro creation arena - the
>> Linux kernel and Android fork of it, and the fedora & debian distros all
>> use git, I don't know of any major OS other than OpenSolaris that adopted
>> hg for the core OS development.
>
> It is interesting to see how many people use git even though git does not keep
> deltas and thus causes big archives.

Not that either of us get a vote here, but just so no one else goes around
repeating that misinformation:
	http://whygitisbetterthanx.com/#git-is-small
	http://book.git-scm.com/7_how_git_stores_objects.html
	http://book.git-scm.com/7_the_packfile.html

git certainly has issues, and as others have mentioned, the learning curve
is one of its biggest, but efficient use of storage is not a common problem.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com