[oi-dev] Git as a version control system for new OI projects

Alexey Zaytsev alexey.zaytsev at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 00:54:26 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 04:06, Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 01:49 +0200, Jesus Cea wrote:

>> > The lead is clearer in the OS develoepment & distro creation arena - the
>> > Linux kernel and Android fork of it, and the fedora & debian distros all
>> > use git, I don't know of any major OS other than OpenSolaris that adopted
>> > hg for the core OS development.
>>
>> I know I should phrase my arguments more carefully... Lets say that I
>> don't expect that many hackers working on Linux are going to migrate to
>> OpenIndiana/Illumos just because we change to GIT.
>>
>> Anyway, as Garret has said, this is a religious debate. If nobody can
>> prove than migrating to GIT would improve "something", the Status-Quo
>> must/should prevail.
>
> Given that OS development was on Hg, I'd be very interested in Joyent's
> arguments/reasons for choosing git.  As I think it's safe to assume that
> decision was not undertaken lightly, and that Git likely scratched an
> itch that Hg would/could not, such analysis could be quite illuminating
> regarding Hg's shortcomings.

We would need their comments on this of course, but sometimes the
reason is really hard to explain.
Like, could you give me a "technical reason", to choose between [1] and [2]?
Sometimes it's easier to say that it just "feels better", and you need
to try both to feel the difference.

[1] http://images.wikia.com/absurdopedia/images/1/12/Zaz_968.jpg
[2] http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2006/06/26-mercedes-benz-cl-class/Mercedes-Benz-CL-Class-5-lg.jpg