[oi-dev] Git as a version control system for new OI projects

Alex Viskovatoff viskovatoff at imap.cc
Thu Jun 23 02:02:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 20:04 +0200, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
> I don't think having a mix of git and hg is a good idea, ie. hg
> being "official" for old repos and git being blessed for new
> repos, it'll just cause even more confusion for newcomers.
> How about just adding git mirrors for all of hg.oi.o as Illumos
> has on github if this really is an issue?
> --
> Guido Berhoerster

+1

Given that (1) hg is easier to use; (2) OI already uses hg; (3) OI's two
upstreams, Oracle and Illumos, both use hg; (4) as Guido notes, if OI
really wants to go out of its way for Solaris newbies coming from Linux,
git mirrors of existing OI hg repos can be created; (5) as Garret points
out, this is a religious war:

switching to git would just further foster the impression that the
OpenIndiana project is more concerned with continually revisiting
decisions that have already been made (pfexec vs. sudo and gcc vs. Sun
Studio are two other favorites), instead of figuring out how to go
beyond what Sun/Oracle has done.