[oi-dev] Proposed plan for the next releases of OpenIndiana

Albert Lee trisk at opensolaris.org
Tue Mar 1 22:01:49 UTC 2011

Hi all,

At today's developer meeting, we've gone over our release plans and
this is a summary of what we will do going forward:

Our experimental build[1] based on illumos and Oracle 148 will
continue receiving updates in preparation for our next development
build.

Our next development build will be based on illumos and Oracle's 151a
consolidations, and will be published to /dev, at which point /dev-il
will no longer exist as a separate repository.

Our stable release will be based directly on the aforementioned
development build, addressing any major issues after the initial
development release. This release will be published to /stable (and/or
/release?).

I'd like to know if this sounds sane to everyone (anyone?), and if
there are additional concerns that we may have missed.

Thanks!

[1]  Our preliminary illumos-based build is at
http://pkg.openindiana.org/dev-il . The media was well-received at the
illumos exhibit at SCALE 9x. We're working on some additional changes
to complete illumos integration and will keep the versions of all
consolidations at Oracle's 148.

-Albert