[oi-dev] Plans to lower minimum memory requirements?

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Thu Mar 17 20:07:28 UTC 2011

You can definitely run in less space, and the problem isn't CoW, but the
additional level of in RAM caching (particularly the ARC) that ZFS does.

The question here is, if we optimize for smaller systems, does that come
at the cost of performance to systems with more reasonable
specifications?

I have very little desire in trying to compete against Linux, VxWorks,
and NetBSD for the low end market.

That said, if there are simple changes that can be done to make us work
better in smaller amounts of RAM, without sacrificing performance for
the higher end systems, I'm open to them.

	- Garrett