[oi-dev] GSOC2011

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Mon Mar 21 14:38:33 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 16:16 +0200, Cyril Plisko wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Andrey Sokolov
> <keremet at solaris.kirov.ru> wrote:
> > Hi Deano,
> >
> > I would like to write a program that will convert linux binaries to
> > opensolaris binaries. The program will change dynamic relocation records. I
> > did a little experiment: http://forum.os-solaris.ru/index.php?topic=223.0 I
> > have converted a simple linux binary to opensolaris binary using hex editor.
> >

> Instead of [destructively] change the Linux binary in order to run it
> under Solaris,
> wouldn't it be better to do the job on the fly via dynamic linker ?
> Linux binaries conveniently use /lib/ld-linux.so.1 (as opposed to
> /lib/ld.so.1 for
> Solaris). So one would imaging that if you will provide a
> /lib/ld-linux.so.1 that
> knows how to fix the relocations that would get you what you need, w/o touch
> the binaries. Does it make sense ?

This was pretty much my idea on the topic.

There may be a need for a system call translation as well.  Still, I
think the *first* attempt should stick to library interfaces, and as
much as possible reuse the lib interfaces we already have.  There are
likely some interfaces that will need "work" to make them function in a
more linux friendly fashion.

In a world where we had truly achieved success here, it would be
possible to run, e.g. skype, without having to resort to branded zones.
(Admittedly skype is a "hard" program to support, but it's a particular
itch I want to see scratched. :-)

	- Garrett