[oi-dev] Gnome discusses going Linux-only

Shawn Thompson superfox436 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 13:39:23 UTC 2011

If you were under a rock yesterday, you may have heard that there are now
discussions on the GNOME mailing list about making the Systemd init system a
dependency of GNOME 3.2 (
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-May/msg00432.html) in
order to improve its integration with the system its placed atop.
Unfortunately, if this were to occur, it would effectively (unless otherwise
coded) end support for non-Linux based systems. Of course this might be a
problem if this were to occur, since we are of course, a non-Linux based
system, and active development of Gnome 2.x has effectively ended in favour
of Gnome 3.x.

So it comes to this, if on the oft-chance this ''does'' occur (alongside the
shockwaves it'll probably send through the world), do we have any
contingency plans on what we could do to get around it? Stay on Gnome 2.x?
Switch desktops entirely? Make a new GTK3-based one?

~Shawn