[oi-dev] nVidia GPU Driver Update for Upcoming Release??

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Sun May 22 16:52:01 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-05-22 at 13:34 +0100, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
> Hi Ken & Ken,
>
> With each release we've shipped the latest nVidia driver available from their website, and we're hoping to do the same with oi_151.
>
> Regarding the license terms, initially the license stated binary redistribution was for Linux. But after I left a voicemail with NVidia's corporate headquarters, one part of the license was updated to include OpenSolaris:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/nv_swlicense.html
>
> "Linux/FreeBSD/OpenSolaris Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux or FreeBSD operating systems, or other operating systems derived from the source code to these operating systems, may be copied and redistributed, provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way (except for unzipping of compressed files)."
>
> The update was "half-arsed", because it states "Linux/FreeBSD/OpenSolaris Exception", then later in the paragraph states "Linux or FreeBSD" but not OpenSolaris. But we're interpreting this liberally.
>
> They never responded to my voicemail directly, but I'd like to think the timing of the change suggests they actually listened.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alasdair

Excellent :)

Speaking of 151, I've been testing 148b as daily driver on the
workstation front.  I've filed a couple bug reports on Redmine, but left
target version blank since I wasn't sure about the bug handling
workflow.  Should I be setting target at 151 or would that fall under
auspices of triage person?

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>