[oi-dev] libstdc++ locale support on Solaris/OI

Guido Berhoerster gber at openindiana.org
Mon May 23 09:36:31 UTC 2011

* Alasdair Lumsden <alasdairrr at gmail.com> [2011-05-23 01:15]:
> And lastly, could someone confirm whether the Apache stdcxx C++ library is a viable full alternative to libstdc++ that we could use to avoid the locale issue? If so, does anyone foresee any issues of pairing gcc with libstdc++ to take over from Sun Studio as our compiler of choice for OI (I'm talking theoretically, ignoring the work involved of making everything actually compile with it).

Apache stdcxx upstream activity has largely ceased after 2008 so
it is probably not a good idea to commit to a sinking ship. GCC
libstdc++ and Clang libc++ are actively working on C++'0x support
so it's only a matter of time until some OSS projects start
taking advantage of that.

--
Guido Berhoerster