[oi-dev] Fwd: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Documentation-Project

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Mon May 30 04:24:06 UTC 2011

Switching to another less popular doc format doesn't seem like a great idea.  I don't work with the documentation frequently, but I'd ask people that do.

One thing is that some of these formats are like fads... they come and go.  I remember not long ago when SGML was all the rage. :-)  From my perspective it would be good to have a format that has good tools available (multiple implementations, at least some of which are portable to other platforms), displays nicely, and provides some basic structure capabitilities to assist in parsing for content or format conversion (e.g. to HTML).

If you make me install a bunch of new tools, or learn a format that nobody else uses, I probably will be less inclined to write documentation.  (That said, I've not written much except a few man pages, and the format of *those* is relatively constrained by the need to be able to display them with the man command. :-)

  -- Garrett D'Amore