[oi-dev] Fwd: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Documentation-Project

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon May 30 19:13:39 UTC 2011

On 05/30/11 11:19 AM, Chris Ridd wrote:
> Are the Solaris man pages still authored in some kind of customized Docbook?

Yes - SolBook is still used as the source markup, from which the nroff output
is generated for man pages in the OS, and the html & pdf output for the site
formerly known as docs.sun.com.   The DTD is in the ON gate/packages - see
/usr/share/lib/sgml/locale/C/dtds/solbookv2 from pkg:/text/doctools .

For what it's worth, most of the html/pdf/txt docs on
	http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.6/doc/
were generated from Docbook/XML on a Solaris 11 Express machine, though I did
have to install a couple extra open source packages that aren't currently
in any of the consolidations/package repos:
	https://fedorahosted.org/xmlto/
	http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/
as well as updating to a slightly newer version of the Docbook style sheets
than the JDS consolidation currently packages.

Personally, I just use emacs to edit docbook files, but I do the same for
html too, never having found (or looked that hard for) a more user-friendly
front end editor.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com