[oi-dev] 1262 Berkeley-db package

Bayard G. Bell buffer.g.overflow at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 17:06:47 UTC 2011

A few items, as much questions as anything else:

1) given that you usually end up needing multiple bdbs, should the
standard here be to embed version components into the name?
2) is there any basis for thinking that bdb should only be built for
32-bit support, or would we reasonably expect that 64-bit binaries would
need to link against it?
3) it looks like the default behaviour for library link generation is to
create links that look like lib<name>-<version>.so rather than
lib<name>.so.<version>; which convention is expected for OI?
4) a lot of the content appears to be documentation; have you confirmed
that all of it is correctly tagged with the doc facet?
5) I notice that there's documentation for csharp, but I wouldn't expect
that to be applicable to our build; if that's the case, is there
anything we can do to suppress the generation of such documentation
(stripping out of the manifests might also be an option)?
6) given the prevalence of bdb and how low it tends to be in the stack,
might we also consider providing debug support? are there any standing
rules on how that should be done?