[oi-dev] 1262 Berkeley-db package

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 23:25:09 UTC 2011

Hi Alex,

On 3 Oct 2011, at 22:08, Alex Viskovatoff wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-10-03 at 16:34 -0400, Josef 'Jeff' Sipek wrote:
<snip>
> Is there some special reason why you are working on this package, given
> that oi-sfe already delivers it and the "Before adding new packages to
> oi-build" remark in
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+oi-build ?

SFE is technically a third party repo, which doesn't receive the same amount of QA/testing that our core packages do. Think of it as a "contrib" repo. The note on the wiki is really referring to "extra" or "additional" software like VLC/Inkscape/etc which are big less commonly used software.

BerkeleyDB is an important, core bit of software that we should deliver in oi-build.

> Since oi-sfe uses IPS, packages built with oi-build can depend on
> packages from oi-sfe.

Definitely not - the core distro should not depend on optional 3rd party repos that might not be present in an end-users publisher list.

Cheers,

Alasdair