[oi-dev] 1535 update gmake to 3.82

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 17:36:10 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Alasdair Lumsden <alasdairrr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
>>> Looks good to me! I'm not aware of any problems that might result from
>>> upgrading to gmake 3.82 - does anyone on-list know of any?
>>
>> I've had several build failures caused by gmake 3.82. I can't
>> remember what applications failed (not on the right system at
>> the moment) but my general conclusion was to stick at 3.81 and
>> blacklist 3.82.
>
> Hmm, that's a bit annoying. We were hoping to use 3.82 to fix a problem with
> the libreoffice build.
>
> What about making a copy of the userland component to ship an additional
> gmake-3.82 package which delivers only the newer gmake binary? That way
> /usr/bin/gmake is 3.81 and /usr/bin/gmake-3.82 is 3.82, both co-existing
> together. This would help assist with the libre office build.

My notes say that gmake-3.82 broke my build of gstreamer. I found that
out pretty quickly and rolled back, so didn't investigate many more packages.
(That was under Solaris 10, by the way, if that matters.)

I wouldn't necessarily take my feedback as derailing gmake-3.82, just as
a warning that it's probably worth testing it more thoroughly.

--
-Peter Tribble